Jessica Biel is wearing a cocktail dress in a beautiful emerald green color and she looks amazing! This dress is perfect for any wedding!
- Shoes: Giuseppe Zanotti
- Clutch: Forever New
- Lipstick: L’Oreal, color riche, fairest nude
- Earrings: Alexis Bittar
What to wear to a wedding
- Since weddings come in different settings it can be confusing to decide what to wear to a wedding. Therefore it is important collect some important information about the wedding you’re attending. Were does it take place, is it an evening or a daytime event and is there a special dress code required? Often the invitation gives important clues about what to wear to a wedding so make sure you’ll check out the invitation before you choose your attire.
- Some weddings require a special dress code. A dress code sets certain rules for guests on what to wear. Some people love it and some hate it but traditionally these dress codes were meant to provide clarity for the attendees about what to wear to a formal event. This prevents people from feeling inconvenient about their outfit because they are under- or overdressed. Click here for more information on how to dress for a wedding with a dress code.
- If there is no dress code given for the wedding you’re attending then keep these few rules in mind. in most cases evening weddings are more formal than daytime weddings. Indoor weddings are more formal than outdoor weddings and off course the location is an important factor for the formality. A wedding in a chic hotel requires for example more formal wedding guest attire than a wedding in a beach club.
- The best attire for most weddings is a cocktail dress. A cocktail dress ranges from just above the knee to just under the knee but can also be tea length. You can make a dress look more formal with a dressier fabric. A wedding is not the place to show up in a dress that is too revealing. Instead wear something modest and classic. You can wear a dress in all colors except for all white or all black. Some exceptions can be made for an off white dress but make sure that you combine it with shoes and accessories in another color and make sure that the dress doesn’t have any features that can be mistaken with a wedding dress. The best choice is a dress in the colors of the season.
- The main secret of looking amazing is choosing a dress than complements your body shape. Also go for the right lingerie that is supportive and invisible under your dress. If you could use some extra support then consider reshaping underwear. They can do wonders! Click here for more information on how to dress for your body shape.
- Combine your dress with some gorgeous high pumps or open sandals in a color that goes with your attire. For a wedding on the beach wedges or fancy flat sandals are a better option. If you wear stockings, make sure that your shoes have no peep toe and bring an extra pair in your bag.
- Do not bring a large bag because they will appear too casual. Instead go for an elegant small clutch. They are perfect for weddings and easier to dance with!
- Wear your most beautiful expensive looking accessories but keep it simple. Only wear a necklace if this doesn’t compete with the neckline of your dress. If you wear a necklace then wear small earrings or leave them out. You can also wear larger earrings with a bracelet.
- Go for a natural makeup look during the daytime. In the evening your makeup can be more dramatic but don’t overdo it. We recommend to accentuate your lips or your eyes and to keep de rest natural.
- Go for a festive hairdo. You can also consider letting a professional do your hair. However you wear it, in a chic updo or loose curls, make sure it looks at its best!
- Put up your smile as your best accessory and you’re good to go!
Amazing examples of wedding guest attire
This cream cocktail dress that Eva Mendez is wearing is simply stunning! Dresses in neutral colors can be worn to any wedding regardless the season!
- Nail polish: Essie, ballet slippers
- Shoes: Bennett Harper
- Clutch Karen Millen
- Earrings: River Fine Jewelry
Dresses in more dressy fabrics like silk and satin are a good choice for more formal weddings, like this elegant pink cocktail dress that looks fabulous on Miranda Kerr! It is is the perfect choice for a wedding during the summer or spring.
- Bracelet: John Lewis
- Earrings: Swarovski
- Shoes: Mango
- Clutch: Forever New
Relevant tips and ideas on what to wear to a wedding
- Check out the weddings in the navigation bar for more specific weddings.
- Wonder what to wear to a wedding? Just return to My Outdoor Wedding and check out our newest updates, pictures and information about your next wedding look!