Are you invited to a wedding and do you need tips on what to wear to a wedding for men? Perfect! At this page you’ll find the information you need on how to dress for a wedding. Weddings are special occasions and you’re expected to look elegant and chic. This can make it difficult to decide what to wear. Especially when the wedding has a theme or a dress code. For advice on how to dress for wedding with a special theme or dress code check out the menu. With our help you will experience that it’s very easy to choose an appropriate outfit. We give tips, advise and show selected pictures of wedding guest outfits for men. On My Outdoor Wedding we try to give clothing advice for all weddings possible. We also give gorgeous outfit examples for every wedding. Apply these tips and you will look great on your upcoming event.
What to wear to a wedding for men
- Weddings come in different settings. This can be confusing when you’re wondering what to wear to a wedding for men. Therefore the first thing to do is to look for important information about the wedding you’re attending. Often the invitation provides the information you need like the required dress code, the location of the wedding and the day part in which the wedding is held. A wedding in the evening asks for more formal and dark attire then a wedding during the afternoon. If this information is not given on the invitation, feel free to ask the bride and groom or other guests what kind of attire is appropriate.
- Sometimes weddings require a dress code. Dress codes are meant to provide clarity for the guests about the required wedding attire. This means that guests should wear attire according to certain rules. This makes it easier to decide what to wear but gives you less freedom for a personal touch in your outfit. Click here for more information on how to dress a wedding for men with a dress code.
- If there is no dress code given for the wedding you’re attending, the following rules can help you to choose the right outfit. Evening weddings are more formal than daytime weddings. Indoor weddings are in most cases more formal than outdoor weddings. A wedding in a chic ballroom will require more formal attire then for example a garden wedding.
- Normally the best attire for most weddings is a suit. Depending on the formality you can make your outfit more or less formal. If the wedding is formal you should wear a tuxedo or wear if required attire according the dress code black tie or white tie. Otherwise wear a dark grey or navy blue suit. At a garden or beach wedding during the afternoon, you can also go for a lighter colored suit. During the wedding you can take off the jacket for a less formal look. Weddings are a special occasion. Therefore we recommend you to go for a chic and elegant look.
- Wear a shirt in a white or other light color that matches the color of your suit. The shirt must be plain, without funky patterns or colors. Make sure that the shirt is ironed.
- It’s a must to wear leather dress shoes, if you’re attending an outdoor or a summer wedding suede shoes are also acceptable. Wear shoes that match your outfit and belt and make your (leather) shoes shine. Never wear sneakers at a wedding.
- Wear long dark silk or thin woolen socks. The color of the socks shouldn’t be too outstanding.
- Wear a belt that matches the rest of your outfit.
- A tie is optional. We do recommend to wear a tie. A nice tie can give your outfit something extra. At the wedding you can always choose to omit the tie for a less formal look. For a formal wedding a tie is a must. Keep the color of the tie in the same color tone as your shirt or your suit.
- Keep your accessories to one or max two pieces. A watch for example is a good accessory when wearing a suit but with the some formal dress codes like black tie and white tie a watch is seen as inappropriate. A pocket square is traditionally worn at more formal weddings. The color of the pocket square should not be identical to the tie. You’re always save when the pocket square matches with the color of your shirt. Cuff links are only appropriate with formal attire. Don’t wear cuff links with a sport coat.
Pictures of wedding guest outfits
Relevant tips and ideas on what to wear to a wedding for men
- Check out the weddings in the navigation bar for more specific weddings.
- Wonder what to wear to a wedding? Just return to My Outdoor Wedding and check out our newest updates, pictures and information about your next wedding look!